The Field Configuration area allows Organisations to select the fields they want to be used in the database across members, clubs and teams. By 'fields' we mean the information you want to store on your clubs, teams and members (eg. name, email address, phone number). The fields used determine the data that is able to be collected on a membership which is vital for administration, planning and research purposes.
Setting up the fields to be used is an important first step required when initially setting up your database. If it is the Association's responsibility to configure the fields, this should be done before providing login access to your clubs and teams. In some sports, the national or state governing body will want to determine certain fields to be used at all levels of the database. In this case the Association will not be able to modify the field settings applied by their parent body.
This process is the same at club level, however some fields may not be able to be edited as a higher level (association, state, national) has set this specifically so you won't be able to change this- you'll need to speak to them to change this.
To set the field settings:
Firstly, login to your Online Membership Database - If you don’t have your login details please contact your State Governing Body or Association.
1. From the Association-level menu, click on the Configuration icon and select Settings.
2. Click on Field Configuration
3. The Field Configuration screen will appear.
Here you will see a list of fields and tabs for each of the different fields. Below is an explanation of what each of them refer to.
- MEMBER FIELDS: those fields that will displayed within the member profile when adding or editing.
- CLUB FIELDS: when adding or editing a club these fields will show.
- TEAM FIELDS: when adding or editing teams these fields will show.
The colour within each field are as below:
- WHITE: standard fields- these are hardcoded fields already within the system that cannot be changed and are used normally for members.
- BLUE: custom fields - these are any custom questions your association/league has created.
- GREEN - unlimited custom fields- these are custom questions a higher level like state or national have created.
4. Click into the relevant tab and then scroll down to find the field you need and click on the NAME.
5. This will expand to show a variety of options; Select how you would like this field to display.
Fields can in several ways:
- Let levels below choose - this gives clubs the ability to choose how they want this to display on their member profiles. This option is best if you are not fussed with whether or not clubs choose to use this field or not or if the field created has come from a club level request.
- Hidden - this means the field does not appear within a member profile at all.
- Read Only- this field will display as optional on the members profile however it cannot be edited- only use this option if the answer to this field won't change (e.g birth certificate number).
- Editable - this means that the field will display on the members profile but it can be left blank if they don't want to answer this field.
- Compulsory - this means that the field will display on the members profile and it must be filled out before saving their profile- it cannot be left blank.
- Add only compulsory - this means the field will appear on the members profile as compulsory but it cannot be edited - it is best to aviod using this option as it rarely needing to be used.
The most common configurations are EDITABLE and COMPULSORY.
There are three options on which levels you can choose to display these fields within.
a. For my level: the field setting selected will be applicable to Association administrators. I.e. if you log into the database at the association level, these are the field settings that will apply.
b. For levels below: the field setting selected will be applicable to Club and Team administrators. I.e. if you log into the database at the Club or Team level, these are the field settings that will apply.
c. Registration Form: the field settings selected will appear on the registration form.
6. Select the field setting that you wish to apply to each level of the database (i.e. your level, levels below and/or the registration form) and repeat for any other fields you want.
Note: higher level (state, national) settings for these fields will override the ones set at an association or club level, so if you cannot edit a field this will be why and you need to contact them to change this.
7. Once done, click on Save Options.
There are a wide range of fields available in Membership for associations to choose from. If there are other fields you wish to use that are not provided, you can set up your own Custom Fields.
Note: The field configuration options available will differ depending on the level of the database that you are logged in to. If a field that you need is not available to view or edit, you will need to contact the body at the level above you in the database (eg. the Association if you are a Club or the National Body if you are an Association) and request that the field is made available to your level.